What is Swedish Bitters?
Swedish Bitters is a herbal mix that was found in the pharmacopeias since the Middle Ages and was formulated by Paracelsus of Swiss (German Origin) also known as the “Luther of Medicine” sometime in the 15th century. Later it was rediscovered by well-known Swedish physician, rector of medicine, Dr Claus Samst in the 17th century who said the following about Swedish Bitters recipe: “It can be said, and rightly so, that there is hardly any illness where Swedish Bitters is not of benefit, or at least is effective as a basis for every treatment”. Dr. Claus Samst created a manuscript describing some 46 problems Swedish Bitters has helped relieve during his practice.
In 1980 very well know author and herbalist Maria Treben was introduced to this recipe when she was very ill with typhoid fever in a camp in Bavaria, caused by contaminated meat. After it helped her to recover, she made Swedish Bitters mix into a very popular remedy in her book “Health through God’s Pharmacy” and said the following: “These drops heal every illness. It sounds almost like a fairy tale, but it is true.”
One of the main benefits of the Swedish Bitters is to enhance the overall digestion process and to ensure smooth nutrient absorption. By stimulating liver functions it promotes secretion of bile from the liver and secretion of pancreatic and gastric juices that serve to emulsify or break down dietary fat and clear cholesterol out of our body.
Also by increasing the production of digestive enzymes like hydrochloric acid, they improve your digestion and help to raise the acidity of your intestines.
Herbal mix helps fight various diseases; an infusion can be taken for pain or problems in the digestive tract, for the normalization of digestion, helps to cleanse liver and blood and some say it was effective as a treatment for Candida. Can be helpful in the treatment of allergies, skin conditions and some hemorrhoids. Swedish Bitters has also been used as a mild laxative tonic. Taking Swedish Bitters may help those who suffer from inflammation such as arthritis, swollen joints, and sprains. There are also reviews, testimonies, and recommendations that this specific tinctures of herbs can clean the body of toxins.
In addition, the reception of bitterness helps to cope with the symptoms of some diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite, heaviness in the stomach, bloating, heartburn, constipation, etc.).
HEALTH BENEFITS OF SWEDISH BITTERS
- If suffering from a headache, or feeling dizzy, smelling the Swedish Bitters herbs, or moistening the head with diluted Swedish Bitters with water can be helpful.
- Placing a piece of cloth moistened in the Swedish Bitters tincture on your eyelids can help to reduce eyes inflammation, eyes redness and help with blurriness.
- Sores and scabs on your body might disappear and get cured if moistened with the Swedish Bitters tincture.
- If suffering from a toothache, dilute a tablespoon of Swedish Bitters tincture with a glass of warm water, and rinse your mouth and teeth, it should help to reduce a toothache.
- In case of a sore throat take a tablespoon of Swedish Bitters tincture three times per day internally. Rinsing your sore throat with the Swedish Bitters tincture is also very helpful.
- If you have stomach-cramps, taking a tablespoon of the Swedish Bitters tincture is very helpful.
- In the event of a sudden stomach pain, take 2 – 3 tablespoons of Swedish Bitters tincture internally.
- If having a painful menstrual period, it’s helpful to take 1 tablespoon of red wine with a few drops of Swedish Bitters tincture in the morning on an empty stomach, for the period of 3 consecutive days. You can have breakfast 30 minutes after taking Swedish Bitters, but do not consume milk.
- Swedish Bitters tincture helps to cool the liver and to prevent inflammation.
- Swedish Bitters tincture can help with indigestion and dehydration problems.
- Using Swedish Bitters tincture can help to clear clogged arteries, can help with the kidneys problems, or if suffering from melancholia and sweating.
- Swedish Bitters tincture can help if suffering from internal and/or external hemorrhoid knots and to relieve burning sensation. Moist a cloth with Swedish Bitters tincture and place it over the hemorrhoids overnight.
- When having body aches or feeling weak and powerless take a tablespoon of Swedish Bitters tincture.
- Apply Swedish Bitters tincture to wounds for faster healing.
- The Swedish Bitters tincture can help to cure ulcers, deeply cracked skin on hands and warts.
- In case of an insect-bites moistening affected area with Swedish Bitters tincture might help, if used immediately.
- Using Swedish Bitters tincture can help to restore appetite.
- If you are suffering from arthritis pain, rub your lymph nodes with Swedish Bitters tincture twice a day, in the morning and at night.
- Swedish Bitters tincture can help with frostbites on hands and/or feet.
- Swedish Bitters tincture can help to heal animal bites.
- Use Swedish Bitters tincture to get rid of calluses.
- Take a tablespoon of Swedish Bitters before going to bed if suffering from insomnia.
- You will improve digestion, and overall health of your body when using Swedish Bitters tincture daily, every morning and evening.
Archangelica, Aloe Barbadensis, Lycopodiaceae, Pimpinella, Carlina acaulis, Veronicae herba, Althaea, Gentian lutea, Acorus calamus, Cinnamonum amphora, Kandis, Viscum album, Commiphora, Jugladaceae, Rhei radix, Carthamus tinctorius, Sennae folium, Ginkgo biloba, Theriaca, Potentilla erecta, Artemisia absinthium, Zedoariae rhizoma.
- Open bag with Swedish Bitters herbs and place in a glass container.
- Add 1.75 to 2.00 liters (about 60 to 70 oz) of vodka, fruit or grain brandy, stir and close the airtight lid of the glass container.
- Leave your mixture in the dark place from 14 to 30 days or more (the longer the Swedish Bitters mixture sits, the more potent it will be) shaking or stirring daily.
- After 14 to 30 days or more, drain the liquid elixir in a separate clean container (preferably glass container) through a strainer and store it in a cool, dark place.
- Swedish Bitters are suitable for consumption for up to 36 months from the date of preparation. It’s recommended that the balm is stored in a cool place for up to 3 years.
HOW TO USE SWEDISH BITTERS
It is recommended that each individual take a teaspoon of Swedish Bitters 2 – 4 times daily before the meal. If the taste of the Swedish Bitters Mix is to bitter, dilute it with herbal tea, water or juice.
- Skin to be treated should first be carefully greased with something like marigold or calendula ointment so that there will be no irritation or burns to the skin from using Swedish Bitters.
- Soak a cotton ball in Swedish Bitter and apply it to the area that needs a treatment. Dispose of the used cotton piece after each application, to avoid the contamination.
- The cotton ball soaked in Swedish Bitters can be left applied on the treated skin area for 2-4 hours by securing it with a gauze bandage over the wound depending on the symptoms, or even for all night. After removing the cotton ball, let the skin air dry. If your skin is very sensitive and gets easily irritated, leave cotton ball on the treated area of the skin for a shorter period of time. DO NOT forget to apply ointment to the skin.
- You can also use Swedish Bitters to reduce all types of inflammations by applying Swedish Bitters mixture to the affected areas.
- If you are suffering from a sinus infection, apply and rub Swedish Bitters onto your forehead and over the bridge of your nose several times a day. The essential oils used in the mix will help to kill the bacteria causing the infection; Swedish Bitters mix also helps to thin the mucus clogging the sinuses and promotes drainage of the sinuses.
- If you have hemorrhoids, apply diluted Swedish Bitters several times a day to the affected area. Before bedtime, soak a cotton ball in a diluted Swedish Bitters Mix with water and secure it to the affected area.
- If you suffer from tonsillitis, use the Swedish Bitters to fight the tonsils infections. Mix 1 teaspoon of Swedish Bitters Elixir with warm water and gargle with a mix twice a day.
- If you need to improve your digestion or ease stomach cramps or constipation, take 2 teaspoons of Swedish Bitters in the morning and evening before meals.
- To use Swedish Bitters for blood-purifying or soothing properties, or to treat skin problems, gastric bloating, gallbladder diseases and heartburn – take 1 teaspoon of Swedish Bitters 30 minutes before and 30 after the meals.
- To maintain healthy digestion, take 1 teaspoon of Swedish Bitters 30 minutes before each meal, but no more than 3 times per day.
Please Note: The aloe used in Swedish Bitters mix can for some act like a laxative. Pregnant women should also avoid using Swedish Bitters because it can cause uterine contractions or damage to the fetus. Kids before 12 years of age should also avoid using Swedish Bitters. Swedish Bitters can also have a negative effect on any medication that you might be using. Always consult your doctor before using Swedish Bitters.